Garden of Fuzz

Friday, November 24, 2006

Fetching, finished

But no photo today, I've still got to block them. Do they still qualify as finished?

Modifications to Fetching:

• Yarn used was Wellington Fibres 60% mohair/40% wool, colour: variegated periwinkle. One skein of this is 100 yards; I used nearly one whole skein for the pair, I think I have about five feet of it left. I picked up this yarn at the November DKC meeting.
• Increased length so they are really more like gauntlets; they now have six cables before the hand part.

• Addition of glass beads to each point of the picot edging.


The official colour name of the yarn is not how I would describe it. Periwinkle to me has always been a lilac-ky pale blue. This yarn reminds me nothing more than the old Crayola crayon colour "cornflower blue" (the new cornflower blue is a good deal paler on the Crayola website). It's a deep rich night blue, and is just barely variegated. The mohair makes it a bit on the fuzzy
side, so the cables don't have the nice definition the recommended Debbie Bliss Cashmerino gives. I plan on picking up some of that and making a few pairs (some with the extra length) as gifts while I am in Norway next year. I'll need something portable to knit and I think they'd make nice gifts to the folks I'll be meeting there.

When I put them on, both the colour and the beaded picot points remind me of a story I wrote as a teenager about a mermaid. J. may or may not remember this story... Probably best if she doesn't as it was merde, albeit better than the other ones I wrote at that time (beaucoup de merde).


Progress continues on the twined Von. I am working on the body portion, but it is slow going with 354 stitches on the needle. Soon I will have to start the shaping.
Tonight we're heading out to see the new Bond, so I should get a fair bit knit before the movie really gets going!

No knitting photos as mentioned previously, so here instead is the first photo I took in France.

We were quite taken with the pigeons in France, as they seemed to behave like other birds: roosting in trees, hanging out in flocks, waiting patiently for crumbs. This was our first morning in Paris, and we were breakfasting on crepe-stand Nutella crepes. They were delicious and I so miss those stands!

Today's Earworm: Did Anyone Approach You, by a-ha
(Yes, yes, more a-ha. Get used to it. I'm having an early mid-life crisis. :P)

2 Comments:

  • Crayola's Cornflower blue was my favourite blue crayon colour - it was kinda purpley wasn't it?

    mmmmmm parisian nutella crepes...

    By Blogger Shauna Dawn, at 4:40 p.m.  

  • Egad, you would really have to watch where you were sitting....looking down and up before you took your place.

    Glad to hear fetching is done, can't wait to see the final product.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 4:48 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home