Garden of Fuzz

Friday, June 30, 2006

As the Heel Turns...

...on the first sock I've knit.
It is a humble sock, but I am pleased at how the mystery yarn is looking (patterning?). It's generated some interesting thoughts about knitting such readily available and cheaply purchased items, all of which have been covered by other people, but still fun to muse on while working away. I expect to be picking up stitches while at the hair salon later on this afternoon (I am still not used to this business of dying my hair: dying it after so long, dying it a human colour, having it dyed by a professional). We'll see how that goes.

I've decided to knit the Mrs. Beeton wristwarmers for my mom out of my handspun. She broke her wrist last January after slipping on some ice and the wrist aches from time to time and likes to be warm. I had started a single wristwarmer out of some fine cream mohair from my stash that same spring, but ran out and the next little bit I found was paler and the colour change noticeable, so I never finished it (it was quite plain anyway).
I'll be unplying the handspun so that the slubs look more "on purpose" and also to give me more yardage. Some of the Kidsilk Spray will accompany it, I'm not sure in which order, inside cuff or outside cuff, and I've still got to pick up some beads, perhaps on Saturday. Work will probably not begin until Sunday or Monday, realistically, but I'm excited.


Until then... Happy Canada Day! Don't forget to ingest something decorated with red icing or sprinkles containing everyone's favourite -- or mine, at least -- red dye #5. Mmmmmmm....


Today's Earworm:
Winds of Change, by the Scorpions, courtesy of the guy who whistles (quite beautifully, in fact) metal ballads in Keele subway station on some evenings.

2 Comments:

  • Thanks for the wristwarmers link. I had never even looked at them before--they are sooo pretty. And what a great idea to make for your mom. Hope she enjoys them!

    By Blogger Emma, at 3:31 p.m.  

  • I love the way your Jaywalkers are working up! It's funny, I am working on a pair in Trekking #100 and they look totally different. Let me know how the Mrs. Beeton's work out, I listen to the pattern-writer's podcast all the time and I've been meaning to knit a pair for my over-airconditioned office.

    ps: Happy Canada Day!

    By Blogger Not An Artist, at 7:47 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home